During difficult economic times, we have to cut back on spending in order to afford the rising costs of necessities, and the expense of a vacation is often out of the question. So maybe the Julia Roberts’ yearlong Eat, Pray Love type vacation is not in the cards. We could, however, still enjoy a similar inspirational experience, without the expense, by embarking on a stay-cation. The key to a successful and economical stay-cation is to have a plan.
Your plan should include:
- The amount you are willing to spend (or how little you would like to spend)on the stay-cation.
- The degree to which you are willing to get outside your comfort zone and try new things.
- Something unexpected and self-serving for each day of your stay-cation. Remember this is your vacation time to enjoy even if you are not leaving home.
- No work, no household chores and nothing you would normally do. Make a commitment that this is a special time.
Now for the fun part. Once your plan is in place, you can start exploring different economical activities to include on your stay-cation like:
- Have a picnic. Pack a basket and go to a local park.
- Go to a local high school or University play. It’s a cheap date and a great substitute for pricey professional shows.
- Check out the local festivals and events, like the jazz festivals that are often free.
- Visit a local winery or brewery. It’s an inexpensive and relaxing outing.
- Go to a local museum.
- Hit the beach or find a campsite near the beach and enjoy the beautiful sunrise or sunset.
- Pull out the backpack and spend the day exploring new places and enjoying nature.
- Have a cycling adventure. Find the local bike trails instead of hitting the streets.
- Plant a family garden. Share the joy of gardening with the kids while teaching them about growing your own food.
- Organize a block party. Host a neighborhood get-together; it’s a great way to share good food (pot-luck) and make good friends.
- Enjoy a field day with your family and play your all-time favourite childhood games like: Red Rover, freeze tag, three legged race, etc…
Post your own ideas below: